DHL Ethnic Marketing Campaign
A Personal Bilingual Direct Mail to Increase International Mail and Parcel Shipping
- Foreign minorities should feel accepted as a section of the population, development of a brand preference and customer loyalty
- Establish an image in the eyes of the ethnic target group
- Increase international mail and parcel shipping, incite a long-term attitude toward shipping
- Make Deutsche Post the instrument for friends and family to stay in touch with their homeland
- Be accepted as a result of advertising in the native language and visual language that is tailored to Turkish culture
Structure of the campaign
Key element was a personal bilingual direct mail with a response insert.
The direct mail included the following:
- Informational brochure in Turkish illustrating the product with both text and imagery
- An addressed and stamped envelope was enclosed to make a response as simple as possible
- Additional postcards that visually illustrate the bridges between German and Turkey were included in the direct mail to spark interest
- The chance to win a prize was meant to increase the response rate
- TV spots were broadcast at the same time on various Turkish TV stations
- Print advertisements with response opportunities were placed in the Turkish daily newspapers with the highest circulations to round of the campaign communications
- The TV spots as well as background information could be downloaded from the company’s website
- Events: A benefit concert with testimonials at the end of the campaign reinforced awareness of Deutsche Post
A very positive response from the target group:
- Response rate: 24 %
- Significant sales and revenue stimulation tied to items sent to Turkey.
- Broad positive media coverage (numerous TV and press reports).
- Deutsche Post was able to position itself as a good choice for cross-border communication within the target group.